Sunday, October 30

Turkey Cutlets in Lemon Butter Sauce

I know I've been posting a lot of baked goods lately.  My apologies to those who are watching their girlish figures and not attempting to put on a winter hibernation coat.  For some reason, I've been completely uninterested in Halloween candy this year opting instead of treats of the baked and frosted variety!

But here is a reprieve for those of you in need of a break from the sweets.  It's one of my favorite, favorite, favorite family recipes.  One of those meals I'd request before going back to college or camp growing up, usually made in combination with my favorite mac & cheese

It's included in the cooking scrapbook my Mom made me when I was a freshman in college.  She made this out of the goodness of her heart since I was still largely uninterested in cooking at the time (take out or Gumby's pizza anyone??).  It's my most treasured gift or family heirloom... the item I grab in addition to Roy and the dog if there is ever a fire.  It's full of recipes and photos from family and friends, including some original recipes in my great grandmothers handwriting.  All our family favorites are in there along with some amusing stories and memories and the number to room service at my favorite hotel as a kid (you know, just in case this cooking thing doesn't work out).

Photobucket

I remember walking into the house as a kid and smelling my Mom making this.  It would make my mouth water pretty much immediately and it was one of those meals where no one was late to the table.  Making this now lets me recreate a little bit of that childhood nostalgia.  Although not without an adult beverage to go with the cooking process ;)

Photobucket

I made this with some roasted purple fingerling potatoes and a side salad that was supposed to include this as as a topping... except that Roy and I ate it all before dinner. Ooops!

This is perfect for all this chilly weather that seems hell bent on sticking around.  I would recommend using a 12" pan though, a 10" pan makes it really hard to get the job done!  I learned that lesson the hard way (and yes Mom, I'm picking up a new 12" pan today).  If you do use a 10" pan, place the cooked cutlets on an ovenproof plate and keep them in a 250 degree oven to stay warm while you cook the others.  Then place them back into the sauce in batches to finish cooking.

Photobucket

I love the lemon butter sauce that you make at the end with all the browned bits that are stuck in the bottom of the pan.  It makes my mouth so happy!!  The inclusion of water at the end might seem odd but you want it to help balance out the flavors.  Let the mixture cook down a bit and it will thicken up.

Enjoy!!

*****

Turkey Cutlets with Lemon Butter Sauce
serves 6-8 (depends on how many cutlets your package has)

1 - 16 oz package of turkey cutlets
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
8 Tbsp butter
1 - 2 Tbsp lemon
1/4 cup water


Beat the eggs and milk in a small bowl.  Put flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper.  Bread the cutlets by dipping each cutlet into flour, then eggs, then back into flour.  Make sure they are coated well with flour.

Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet (12").  Add cutlets and cook until browned on both sides.  Remove to a platter and set aside. 

Leave the drippings in the pan and add lemon juice, water and remaining butter.  Loosen the browned bits in the pan and mix them into the sauce.  When the butter has melted, put the cutlets back in until they are fully cooked (they'll be tender).  Spoon the juices/gravy over the cutlets and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Yum...definitely going to try that one! I haven't seen turkey cutlets in the UAE, but if push comes to shove I will substitute chicken :) Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey - is it sick that I still remember their phone number? It's 552-3200 in case you need a fix ;)

    Liz - you can definitely use chicken cutlets. Enjoy a little comfort food in Al Ain!!

    ReplyDelete