Monday, June 20

"Not Guac" avocado dip

"Do one thing every day that scares you."

It's important it is to get of your comfort zone every once in a while.  I can preach on about all the benefits but you know them.  So instead, I'm going to ask you to get out of your comfort zone with this recipe.  Take a little leap of faith.  I'll be the first to admit that it looks less than appetizing.  But think about the flavors:

avocado
tomato
red onion
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
feta cheese

It makes your mouth water a bit, right?  It seems like it has potential for deliciousness.  And it does!  It totally delivers.

This is one of those recipes that is impossible to explain.  It's much better tried together over a glass of wine or beer.  That was how my Dad first introduced it to me.  And that's how his friend introduced it to him.

I would love to make it for you so you could see just how delicious and unexpected it is.   But if I could do that, you'd be standing in my kitchen chowing down on dip and not reading about it on this blog.

I call this "not guac" because when I tried to explain it to one of my BFFs Carey and her husband Will during a recent visit, I started by asking questions infomercial style.  "Do you like avocados?"  "Do you like tomatoes?"  "Do you like red onions?"  "You're going to LOVE this dip--"

At this point Will interrupted me.  "Are you making GUACAMOLE?!?"  His jaw was on the table and he was horrified, thinking I'd lived all these years on the planet Earth without eating guacamole.



I quickly cleared up the confusion and we agreed to call it "not guac" (you'd never know one of us works in marketing and the other in advertising).  The next day we enjoyed the dip along with some of Will's homemade beer and they were converts. 

So I'm asking you to get out of your comfort zone and give this one a shot.  I think you'll love the unusual flavor that the balsamic adds.  Try it with tortilla chips and if you have leftovers put them on a basic iceberg salad (don't add salad dressing).  Carey added it to a salad and topped it with shrimp and gave it an A+.  I can't wait to give that version a shot.

Happy Eating!

*****



"Not Guac" Avocado Dip
serves 4-6
2 ripe avocados
2 Roma tomatoes
Half a medium red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
Garlic salt
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar

Roughly chop avocados into chunky pieces.  Roughly chop tomatoes into chunky pieces (remove seeds and watery insides).  Finely dice half a red onion.

Combine avocados, tomatoes and red onion in a medium bowl.  Sprinkle in 1/2 cup of crumbled Feta cheese.  Give it a light sprinkle of garlic salt (remember, you can always add more).  Stir gently to mix.

Drizzle lightly with olive oil and then with balsamic vinegar adding a bit more balsamic vinegar than olive oil.  Again, go easy.  You can always add more later.  Stir gently to combine.

Test with a tortilla chip and add more olive oil and balsamic vinegar as needed.  I like my dip to have more balsamic than olive oil since it gives the mixture an unexpected but fantastic flavor.

Enjoy!  Know that the longer this sits, the more the flavor builds.  And definitely try your leftovers on a salad, you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment