Sunday, June 5

Pan Fried Flounder (or Sole)

Thanks to the recent heat wave, we've been having July and August-like temps here in Chicago.  When I got up to walk the dog at 8am yesterday it was already 81 degrees.  Which is great, because who doesn't love a good sweat before their morning coffee?!?

The good news is the heat has made it much easier to give up my heavy winter dishes in favor of lighter summer fare.  Like this one which was featured on the Weight Watchers site when they did a relaunch of the program this spring (if you don't trust my review of the recipe below, trust the 563 reviews on the WW website).

Photobucket

The combination of flavors - Dijon mustard, cornmeal, Parmesan and lemon - is intriguing.  I was unsure of how they'd come together.  But the result is decidedly delicious!  The recipe includes just the right amount of each ingredient so that no one item is overpowering.  It ends up being fresh and flavorful with a little bit of crunch and a nice tanginess. 

My store was out of flounder so I made this with sole which was on sale.  It turned out to be convenient for when I goofed the recipe the first time and realized I'd forgotten the egg whites.  Fortunately I had two more fillets in the fridge so I was able to just start over! 

Which leads me to things I'd do differently next time... skip the egg whites.  Unless you're really trying to do Weight Watchers by the book, I think it's A-ok to save yourself some time and kitchen utensils by just using an egg substitute or even a real egg wash.  I also had a hard time getting the cornmeal coating to stick to the entire fish surface, as you can see in the photo below.  I think that's something that just takes time, and maybe a fish spatula, to master. 

This has been added to the summer rotation and has helped get me out of my "white fish slump".  I won't go into the details but let's just say, I'm no longer allowed to cook tilapia.  So this makes me doubly excited to have an easy fish dish (besides salmon) under my belt!

Happy Eating!

*****

from Weight Watchers

1 pound flounder, sole or fluke fillets   
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard   
1 large egg white, whipped until stiff (or equivalent measure of egg substitute)
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal   
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese   
1 Tbsp thyme, fresh, finely minced (or 1 tsp dried thyme)   
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste   
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste   
2 sprays olive oil cooking spray   
1 Tbsp olive oil   
1 medium lemons, cut into 4 wedges
Rinse fish and pat dry. Place fish on a plate and spread both sides of fish with mustard; dip into egg white (or egg substitute) and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, thyme, salt and pepper.  Dust the fish with the cornmeal-mixture, making sure to cover both sides.

Coat a large oven-proof skillet with cooking spray and set over medium to medium-high heat; heat oil until shimmering. Add fish to skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side; flip fish and cook until done on other side, about 2 to 3 minutes more.*

Serve fish with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment