Sunday, May 6

Cucumber, Tomato and Feta Salad

Here's one of the salads I made recently to help me with my fruit and veggie resolution.  I love the combo of crisp cucumber and fresh tomatoes.  The hint of lemon in the dressing is really nice too.  The best part is the fact that it's "pre-made".  I can easily take it to work or grab it as a side to my lunch when I'm working from home without having to spend time pulling out lettuce and putting together an elaborate salad. 

Photobucket

I used about half the feta that the recipe called for.  I think the full 7 oz would have been completely overwhelming.  And I used about half the mint too. The mint was a bright, fresh addition on the day I made it.  But it didn't hold up well in the days that followed so next time it gets the ax.  The original recipe included olives but I passed on those too (turns out, I modified the heck out of this recipe).  If you're an olive person, add in 1 cup of halved assorted, pitted olives of your choice (Kalamata or Gaeta would be best).

*****

Cucumber, Tomato and Feta Salad 
15 mins, 8 servings

2 coarsely chopped English hothouse or Persian cucumbers
5 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I scooped most of the insides out so it wouldn't be watery and runny)
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 3.5-ounce package feta, crumbled
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint (optional)
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, feta, and mint in a large bowl. Whisk oil and lemon juice in a small bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle extra feta over the top if desired and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment