Saturday, May 12

Baked Parmesan Tomatoes

A few days ago I made beef kebabs with Israeli couscous and grilled veggies.  And while I loved the beef, grilled onions and couscous, the grilled tomatoes didn't quite do it for me.  I had only made enough grilled veggies for dinner that night, intending to grill some more fresh veggies again the next night for the leftovers.  After Roy and I declared the tomatoes a let down, I assumed they'd become fodder for a salad.  But in a stroke of genius, I remembered this recipe from Pintrest.  And lo and behold, I had everything (yes, all 3 ingredients) in my pantry!

I'm not sure what I loved most about these.  How flavorful and crunchy the Parmesan topping was?  That they took less than 5 minutes to prepare?  How roasting the tomatoes made them juicy and flavorful but still firm on the inside?  Or the amazing flavor combo of roasted tomatoes, nutty Parmesan and herbs.

Photobucket

So good.  So, so good.

Even Roy, who is not a fan of roasted tomatoes, gave these two thumbs up and said he'd be happy to eat them again.

Photobucket


This is definitely my new go-to side dish.  That easy to make veggie that complements most any dinner, is delicious, and packs a nutritional punch with lots of vitamin A and C, plus some potassium and calcium.  I actually made them twice before I had a chance to post so you're getting pictures from both times. 

The first go round was with roma tomatoes.  The second with a mix of red and orange tomatoes that I picked out only because I thought they'd be beautiful in photos.  And they were!  I just wish I'd cut them a little bit more at the halfway part instead of just slicing the top off.  It left me with too much tomato and not enough cheese.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


One teeny, tiny point of caution.  For some reason these smoke a bit when they go in the oven and they set off the fire alarm.  I'm sure it's user error and perhaps it's the excess olive oil on the baking sheet from when I drizzle them?  Maybe the roasting temp in the recipe is too high?  I'm not sure.  But be prepared to turn on the fan and wave a dish towel around. 

Try these.  Today.  With anything.  Even on their own as an afternoon snack.  You will not be disappointed!  And it's worth a little background music from the fire alarm, I promise :)

*****

Baked Parmesan Tomatoes
5 mins active, 15 mins total

4 tomatoes, halved horizontally
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (just a pinch if you use dried)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used a little less, just a drizzle is all you need)
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped


Preheat oven to 450° F.  Place tomatoes cut-side up on a baking sheet. Top with Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and bake until the tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.  Add fresh parsley if desired.


Per serving: 91 calories; 6 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 4 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 375 mg sodium; 363 mg potassium.

No comments:

Post a Comment