Thursday, April 7

Sweet Potato Chipfries

Like the last post, this is another one that started as more of a non-recipe.  I've never been a sweet potato person.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that by the time I'd turned 25, I'd had all of 3 bites of a sweet potato in my life.

Ohhhh, what I've been missing all this time!  I had no idea. 

My Mom made these a few years ago and they changed my mind.  I'm still not a huge fan of sweet potatoes the way you think of them at Thanksgiving, covered in pecans or marshmallows.  But I'm hard pressed to turn down sweet potato fries and I make this version at home once a week or so during the winter months.

This is a tasty, savory take on sweet potatoes and in my opinion, a good bit healthier than the traditional preparations that involve marshmallows. 

Although... when you eat an entire potato in one sitting you may negate all the health value you previously earned.  Oops.  I blame that on the Royfriend since he doesn't like sweet potatoes and I have to eat it all myself.

Sorry for the wishy washy title - "chipfries".  They don't get so crispy that they resemble baked chips, but they aren't french fries either.  These are one of those things you just have to try yourself.  If you have a better name, let me know!  I make these a lot for a Sunday afternoon snack but you could also make them as a side for dinner. 

Happy Eating!

*****


Ma Rob's Sweet Potato Chipfries

One sweet potato
Balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil


Thinly slice sweet potato on a mandolin.  Drizzle the slices with equal parts balsamic vinegar and EVOO.

Spread the slices evenly on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees, turning them over about half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment