Wednesday, April 13

Lazy Woman's Pulled Pork BBQ

I love BBQ.  I think it should be it's own food group.  Right next to oreos and cheese plates. 

That's why it was the natural thing for me to make for my Masters Sunday Party.  The recipe below could not be any simpler but everyone will be amazed at your homemade pulled pork.  Plan on half a pound of pork per person and make sure you give yourself enough time for everything to cook.

As with most crock pot recipes, your house is going to smell spectacular.  The ingredient list is short but powerful.  It has the most wonderful, almost tangy flavor (thanks to the vinegar) that you don't get with the store bought stuff.  I had to force myself to stop sneaking bites while I was shredding it.

I served mine straight from the crock pot with two sauce options on the side - my fave, Sweet Baby Ray's, and a new one, a Culinary Circle Carolina Mustard sauce. I even put them in squeeze bottles to be authentic!  Turns out my attempt to make it official was the way to go.  It made it a lot easier for everyone to make their sandwich to taste while trying both the sauces.  

Not pictured here is the slaw I served to go with BBQ.  I got a pre-shredded cabbage mix and dressed it myself using Marzetti's Slaw Dressing, so I could keep it from drowning in the sauce.  When you're fixing up your sandwich, put the slaw on top of your BBQ.  It's magical. 

Moral of the story... hang on to this one.  It's a fantastic, easy recipe that's perfect for a party, pot luck or tailgate.  One of those that makes it seem like you worked a lot harder than you did ;)  And great when you want to stay out of the kitchen and spend time with your guests. 

Happy Eating!

*****

half shredded, half falling off the bone

back in the crock pot after shredding


Pulled Pork BBQ  - the lazy woman's version

3-4 lb Pork Shoulder Roast
1 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. water
2 T. sugar

Place your roast in the crock pot.  Add apple cider vinegar, water and sugar.  Cook for 12-15 hours on low setting. 

After 10-12 hours, take the pork out of the crock pot and place it on a cutting board or platter (leave the liquid in the crock pot!!).  The roast should be falling apart.  Shred it with two forks or your hands. 

Place the shredded pork back in the crock pot with all the liquid.  Keep it on low or warm until you're ready to serve. 

The sauce in the crock pot is good, but your pork will probably need a real BBQ sauce.  Use your favorite and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you posted this! I have been dying to make some BBQ and satisfy the southerner in me, and this recipe is so easy and so delicious. It's harder than you might think to find a "lazy girl" version of crock pot BBQ...

    ReplyDelete