Thursday, April 5

Fruit & Veggie Resolution Update - week who knows...

It's been awhile since I posted an update on my 2012 resolution to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.  Last time I checked in I confessed that the novelty had worn off in February and due to work commitments and being up to my eyeballs in busy, I expected March to be a wash.  And it kind of was.  I did my best to eat fruits and veggies when I could over the past few weeks but I gave up counting servings. 

Surprisingly, when my last event ended last Thursday and I came out of the fog... I found myself craving the good stuff.  When I wanted a snack, I found myself looking for apples and blueberries and bananas.  Sure I was craving nutella to go with the apples and bananas, but it's a big improvement!

In a moment of weakness and at the suggestion of that friend I mentioned earlier this week (Hi Helber!), I ended up at Costco with a cart that included:
  • 18 ounces of blueberries
  • 2 pounds of strawberries
  • a dozen Gala apples (weighing in at 5.5 lbs)
  • 10 lbs of grapefruit

FOR TWO PEOPLE.

Photobucket

Please note this is in addition to the grapes, asparagus and tomato/cucmber salad I already have sitting in my fridge. 

All joking aside, it appears as though my eating habits have finally hit a tipping point.  It took 3 months to turn this from work into a habit.  It no longer requires as much thought and effort, the choices are becoming more natural.

Back to my fruit binge... I want to tell you I saved a lot of money given that it was Costco.  But I saved about $1.20 on the apples and probably $2-3 on the grapefruits.  At the very least, I had a great time eating the samples after work and I'm glad that I won't have to go back to the store every 2 days to stock up again. 

I'm fortunate in that I have a great fridge which keeps fruit very fresh so the apples and grapefruits should be ok. 

The berries could be another story though.  We'll have to see how long the berries last.  I purposefully bought a boat load and then gave them a bath in a mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 10 parts water per a tip I saw on Pintrest.  Supposedly it removes dirt, mold spores, etc and berries will last much longer.  I'll update you on the outcome next week and let you know if the tip is a good one.

Till then, the fruit and veggie resolution is alive and well, even if it is covered in nutella!

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Fruit Fresh? We always put those on our fresh peaches to keep them from turning brown so quickly once they've been cut. I feel like my mom has used it on strawberries too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those --> that* (pardon my poor grammar!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't but I will definitely look into it, thanks Lydia!

    ReplyDelete