Sunday, November 6

Potato, Leek and Feta Tart

Bear with me as I'm going to wax poetic about the farmers market one more time this season.  Another reason I love shopping there is because I'm surrounded by experts.  Experts who can tell me what to look for in the produce (ie: this should be firm/soft or XYZ color when ripe) and how to store and cook it.  It's rare to even find a produce guy at my grocery store, much less a selection of 5 people all willing and ready to help me.

Back in early October I got to chatting with a gentleman from Lange Farms about a potato, leek and feta tart.  We talked about the wonderous invention that is premade pie shell crust and he promised to bring the recipe for me next week.  I figured I'd offer this heirloom tomato tart recipe in return.

But then life happened and I missed that week's market and then completely forgot about the tart until last Tuesday, the final day of the 2011 market season.  Unfortunately I had to go into the office early that morning so I sent Roy to handle things.  He found Gerry, passed along my tomato tart recipe and email address and by Wednesday morning I had the potato, leek and feta tart recipe in my inbox. 

I tried this out on Friday night with some salmon and loved it!  The tart is full of flavor but each bite is a little different depending on whether you get more cheese or crust or leek or dill.  The feta and dill keep it fresh and the cheese melted but wasn't so gooey it was impossible to eat.

Photobucket

I was dealing with a smaller pan so my potatoes didn't get mixed in very well (side note: slice your potatoes with a mandolin, SO MUCH EASIER!).  I laid a few on top and tried to stuff the others under the mixture around the edges which ended up working, but put a few holes in the crust.  Next time I will probably make a layer of the potatoes on the bottom of the tart and then integrate the reamining potatoes into the mixture and put it on top.  I'm also toying with the idea of making a cheddar/gratin-y version. 

Photobucket

Thanks to Gerry at Lange Farms for sharing!

*****

Potato, Leek and Feta Tart

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks cut and cleaned white and light green parts; cut into half-moons
2 small zucchini cut into half-moons
Kosher salt and black pepper
½ cup crumbled feta (about 2 oz.)
2 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill
2 Red Bliss potatoes (8 oz.) thinly sliced
1 store-bought 9 inch piecrust


Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, zucchini, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until just tender; 4 to 5 minutes.  Stir in the Feta and dill.  Add the potatoes and toss to combine.

On a piece of parchment paper, roll the piecrust to a 12 inch diameter.  Slide the paper onto a baking sheet.  Spoon the potato mixture onto the piecrust, leave a 2 inch border.  Fold the edge on the piecrust over the edge of the potato mixture. 

Bake tart until the piecrust is golden brown and the potatoes are tender; 50 – 60 minutes.  You can cover with foil if the crust gets too dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment