Thursday, August 18

Sweet, Summer Roasted Veggies

Turns out this week is all about the sides!  Here is another one I've been making pretty regularly all summer.  It allows me to max out on all the produce that catches my eye at the farmers market but still turn items into a cohesive meal. 



The version above includes zucchini, corn, a red bell pepper and a red onion.  You can put it together using practically any combination of ingredients though.  So use what you've got... green or yellow bell peppers, onions, squash, etc.




The standard version from food blogger Kevin & Amanda calls for olive oil and minced garlic.  I find sometimes the garlic can overpower the veggies so I use it judiciously.  This isn't one of those Italian recipes where the more garlic the better.  My advice is play with it and see what you like best.

To serve two people, Amanda suggests 1/3 cup of each veggie.  I usually just eyeball it.  You can easily ratchet the amount up or down depending on how many people you're serving. 

Make sure you save whatever chopped veggies you don't use in a ziploc baggie in your freezer.  Next time you're in a pinch for a side you can whip them out and have this roasted veggie dish on the table in less than 20 minutes.  That's right, no need to thaw the veggies!  Which means... you can also do this using frozen veggies in the winter.  I know, I'm just blowing your mind aren't I?

Give it a shot and let me know what interesting veggie combos you come up with!

PS: while I was testing the links for this post, I stumbled upon this gorgeous recipe from Kevin & Amanda's site for mini-lasagna cups.  Pretty sure I'll be making those as soon as humanly possible!

*****

Sweet, Summer Roasted Veggies
from Kevin & Amanda

1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup zucchini, diced
1/3 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen), diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil
salt and pepper


Chop and dice veggies and combine in a medium bowl.  Drizzle with just enough olive oil to coat (you don't want these swimming in a pool of EVOO). 

Roast in a shallow baking dish at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment