Thursday, August 11

Salsa Cruda aka: Bruschetta Pasta

I've been dying to share this recipe with you since I started this blog, but I forced myself to wait until I could do it right and get my hands on some farmers market tomatoes.  And they are finally showing up en masse!  So I'm excited to gift you with "Bruschetta Pasta".  Although I'm more excited about the fact that I got to eat it in order to blog about it.

Photobucket

Despite the origin of this recipe, which makes my face blush with shame, it's one of my favorite, favorite, favorite fresh meals.  I must have made this a dozen times last summer.  It's fresh, flavorful and light while still being filling.  All you need is a salad and maybe some rolls if you're harboring a carb addiction.  Plus your house will smell amazing from the garlic and fresh herbs!

So just where did this recipe come from?  None other than Skinny Italian, by Teresa Giudice of the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  I can feel you judging me all the way across the interwebs.  But let's be honest, almost every female in America has gone through a guilty pleasure phase with one Real Housewives franchise or another. 

I was intrigued by her cookbook and it's actually given me quite a few of my current favorite recipes.  There were also lots of good tips about using and storing herbs.  Thanks to Teresa, I now have parsley and basil in my freezer at all times so I can add more flavor or "fancy" on the fly. 

Teresa calls this Salsa Cruda or "raw sauce".  It's like the Italian version of salsa and is good as a dip or over angel hair pasta, bread or salad.  I tried it over pasta and fell in love!  To me it more closely resembles bruschetta, hence 'bruschetta pasta".

The only thing I changed about this recipe was the salt content.  The original calls for 1/2 teaspoon but I find that to be too salty (way too salty, actually).  I just do a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  My advice is go easy on it to start.  You can always add more later!

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.  And if you're interested, check out Teresa's book.  Don't worry, I won't judge you ;)

Photobucket

*****

Teresa Giudice's Salsa Cruda or "Bruschetta Pasta"
Active: 15 mins, 45 mins total
makes about 4 cups

3 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
Dash of salt and pepper
Approx 1/3 cup of freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano

Use your hands to gently combine the tomatoes, parsley, basil, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Be careful not to squash the tomatoes but make sure they get good and coated.

Let the mixture stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours to develop the flavors. 

Serve as desired (over bread, salad, pasta).  Sprinkle each serving with about 2 teaspoons of parmigiano-reggiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment