Wednesday, July 6

Summertime Strawberry Pie

For years now, the start of summer has been marked in my family by strawberry pie.  It's sweet and light and the perfect ending to a long summer day.  Or if you're Roy, it's the perfect Saturday morning breakfast.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Years and years and years ago (seriously, we're talking early 80's here), my Mom convinced the manager of a Shoney's restaurant to give her this strawberry pie recipe.  She was young and working for the IRS and had that irresistible charm that can sway people into giving away important proprietary information, like pie recipes. 

Photobucket


It was one of the first recipes I "mastered" when I started cooking and it's my go-to when summer rolls around.  The simple ingredient list really lets the sweetness of the berries shine and because the base is a jello mixture, it's lighter than traditional pies.  Perfect for warmer weather. 

Photobucket


When compared to some of the more complex pie recipes, this one definitely falls into the "Lazy Woman" category.  It's pretty hard to mess up although I'd be a bad blogger if I didn't admit that one time I put a whole pie together and got it in the fridge before my roommate kindly reminded me that I hadn't actually baked the pie shell.  Oops.

Photobucket


So grab some fresh berries from the farmers market and a little bit of whipped cream and use this as an excuse to slow down to enjoy a little bit of summer with friends.

Happy Eating!

*****

Summertime Strawberry Pie

1 - 9" pie shell
1 quart strawberries
1 small package of strawberry jello
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
4 T cornstarch

Prebake the pie shell according to directions on the package and cool.

While the pie shell cools, slice the berries.

Mix jello, sugar, water and cornstarch in a pot. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently (approximately 5-7 minutes). Line the pie shell with berries and pour the mixture on top. 

Refrigerate until the jello sets (about 4 hours). Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment