Wednesday, July 13

Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette

A couple of weeks ago I went to a work event where asparagus was served alongside a lemon vinaigrette. It was so simple that I'm also embarrassed to admit how much it blew my mind.  Is this a new trend?  Has this secretly been happening since the 80's and I've just been unaware? 

Whatever the case, I immediately made a mental note to try it again at home.  I'm all for asparagus but it's like broccoli... much better when it's "accessorized" with some additional flavors like Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar glaze, butter, lemon, etc.

This is a super easy vinaigrette that I nabbed from Epicurious to use on a salad last summer.  It worked perfectly for the asparagus and is made up almost entirely of pantry ingredients. 

I learned at the cocktail reception for work that if the vinaigrette should happen to make it's way towards the other food on your plate, it ends up being a delightful accident.  So I took a more liberal portion when I made this at home and dragged my roasted potatoes and garlicky grilled chicken through it.  Amazing!


Give it a shot sometime this summer while you've got the grill fired up and let me know if you have any other "accessories" for asparagus!

Happy Eating!

*****

Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette

1/2 cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (the juice of about 1 lemon)
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel (the zested peel of about 1 lemon)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1.5 lbs fresh asparagus
PAM olive oil spray

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper.

Wash and trim ends off 1.5 lbs of asparagus (medium or thick stalks).  Mist asparagus with PAM olive oil spray and grill over medium heat for 4-8 minutes.  Drizzle with vinaigrette and enjoy.

Note: can be made a day ahead.  Keep chilled in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment