Sunday, September 11

Confetti Corn

This dish is as fun and delicious as the name "Confetti Corn" suggests!  It's a super simple recipe that I grabbed from Ina Garten's cookbook Back to Basics: Fabulous Flavors from Simple Ingredients

Pardon the cruddy photos, still waiting to get my nice camera replaced


I've always loved Ina Garten's Food Network show "The Barefoot Contessa" (she's so soothing on tv, I find myself completely mesmerized).  But up until a few years ago you needed a number of gadgets, a plethora of pricey ingredients, 4 hours, and a small kitchen clean up crew to make her recipes.  In recent years, she really has gone back to basics and her recipes are much more approachable.  And as promised, they pack fabulous flavor (here's another delicious recipe from this cookbook: Easy Sole Meuniere).

I made confetti corn to go with Asian Honey Chicken Kebabs and some grilled veggies.  It took about 25 minutes total to prep and cook and was really delicious.  I loved the addition of the red onion and orange bell pepper and the herbs added another layer of flavor that I wasn't expecting.  The corn was sweet but stayed crisp, even after I left it warming on the stove top while we waited for the kebabs to be done.

I ended up with some smaller ears of corn so I beefed this up with almost a cup of frozen corn.  You couldn't tell the difference. 



This got 3 out of 3 stars from the Royfriend.  I suspect I'll be making it a few more times between now and the official start of fall!

*****

Confetti Corn
by Ina Garten, from Back to Basics: Fabulous Flavors from Simple Ingredients

2 T. good olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 small orange bell pepper, 1/2 inch diced
2 T. unsalted butter
Kernels cut from 5 ears of yellow or white corn (4 cups)
1 1/2 t. of kosher salt
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
2 T. chopped fresh basil, chives and/or parsley

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan.  Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft.  Stir in the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.

Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt.  Over medium heat, add the corn, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes, until the corn loses its starchiness. 

Season to taste, gently stir in the basil or other green herbs and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment